Home > announce, info > Release of open source web gallery phTagr 2.3

Release of open source web gallery phTagr 2.3

February 2nd, 2013

phTagr 2.3

I’m happy to announce a new stable version 2.3 of the great open source web gallery phtagr to organize, browse and share your photos!

With phTagr you organize thousands of photos with embedded metadata (write support included). You can use advanced filters to enjoy a specific subset of your photo library. You control your files on your web server or install the gallery at home.

Website: phtagr.org
Download: phtagr-2.3-0fc1a640.zip (ca 5.5 MB)
Documentation: trac.phtagr.org
Demo: Demo gallery

web gallery phTagr 2.3 phTagrs photo explorer phTagrs photo explorer

New features since 2.2.1

• Fix support for PHP 5.4 und runs unter Windows (tested with WAMP)
  • Add drag’n’drop HTML5/Flash upload via plupload (see video)
  • Faster meta data processing via Exiftool (Damain Popescu)
  • Geo maps uses OpenLayer (Patrick Georgi)
  • Support of XMP sidecar file
  • Play icon watermark on video preview files (Jon Reynolds)
  • Add search term similar: to improve quick search
  • Search terms support are now optional, required, or excluded
  • Date search terms from: and to: support YYYY-MM and YYYY format
  • Some search terms support any or none value (See SearchParameter documentation)
  • Media selection in Explorer supports CTRL and SHIFT
  • Add different explorer views compact and mini
  • Add mobile version switch to default theme (see blog entry)

Translation

• New Russian translation from Eugene Pazhitnov
  • New Hungarian translation from Ádám Majoros
  • Updated Polish translation by Piotr Skiba
  • Improved German translation by Patrick Georgi

Under the hood

• Exiftool uses process pipes with -stayOpen option if available to speedup meta data read and write (Thanks to Damain Popescu)
  • Improve import speed for gps logging format GPX
  • Meta data is stored in one table fields instead of three tags, categories, and locations. This simplifies the meta data handling in query speed and complicity. Also, it allows to extent phTagr for new future field such people quick and easy.
  • Update HTTP_WebDAV_Server to 1.0.0RC7 from PEAR
  • Upgrade phpThumb library to 1.7.11 and fix phpThumb rotation parameter bug
  • Update GetID3 library to 1.9.4b1-20121005
  • Upgrade database migration plugin

Minor

• Documentation website trac.phtagr.org was polished
  • Fix image resizing for IE8
  • Fix MediaRSS to work with JustPictures! android app
  • phTagr’s slogan is now ‘Organize, Browse, and Share Your Photos’
  • Improve search term (breadcrumb) autocompletion
  • Simplify explorer’s top menu
  • Media ‘select all’ and ‘invert select’ moved to explorer top menu
  • Fix call-by-reference for php 5.4
  • Add SASS compiler workaround for PHP 5.4 (SASS compiler works only with 5.3)
  • Add rotation reset option
  • Boost query speed for exclusion by using NOT IN with subquery
  • Renamed RSS menu for groups to Links
  • Localize email views

Thanks for your support and your help!

Please consider HowToUpdate when you are upgrading. For installing please visit HowToInstall

Categories: announce, info Tags:
  1. Clement
    February 17th, 2013 at 09:16 | #1

Thank you for phtagr, it’s a really nice tools.
    I’ll try it on a Raspberry pi with lighttpd, I don’t know if it’s going to be too a little bit to heavy.

I found a workaround for http://trac.phtagr.org/ticket/63 Add tags and other MetaData on upload/import, I’m using PHPMyAdmin to check the tag ID in pt2_fields.
    And then I run :

INSERT INTO `pt2_fields_media`(`field_id`, `media_id`)
    SELECT TAG_ID,media_id
    FROM `pt2_files`
    WHERE `path` LIKE ‘%/PHOTO_PATH/%’

Where TAG_ID is the the tag ID in pt2_fields, and PHOTO_PATH is your folder (it’s recursive for subfolders).
    By this way you can quickly edit your tags , countries etc… in phtagr.

2. February 17th, 2013 at 22:28 | #2

Wow! phTagr on Rasperry pi! How does the image resizing for thumbnails perform? Is the performance acceptable?

Thank you for the workaround which is very good for mass editing of photos. For few pictures I still recommend to use the explorer to edit your media.

3. Kemal
    April 2nd, 2013 at 21:49 | #3

When I use git on Mac OS 10.8 I extract the files into phtagr folder as seen on the install instructions. However, after I do this, I see there’s no setup folder inside phtagr… So, the setup screen does not open. Are there any solutions to this? When I download the latest version directly, again setup folder is not existing…

4. April 2nd, 2013 at 22:35 | #4

Thank you for testing phtagr!

There is no direct setup folder – it is done via URL rewriting of apache and some internal magic to the index.php file in the webroot folder. Therefore, it seams that your URL rewriting does not work correctly. Please read http://book.cakephp.org/2.0/en/installation/url-rewriting.html to get further help.

Which web server are you using? If apache, please check that the redirection module is enabled.

Please do not hesitate to ask further question, prefered to the mailing list phtagr-gallery at lists.sourceforge.net

5. Kemal
    April 3rd, 2013 at 02:01 | #5

I’m using Apache, yes. I have tied but I haven’t been able to start the magic yet. I’m setting up on localhost on a 10.8 MacOS system. I am keeping on getting Forbidden 403 error for my /~user/Sites/phtagr folder. My /~user/Sites/phpmyadmin works properly in the same place. Under phtagr I do not have .htaccess folder, either. Is this the problem? I have another computer running MacOS10.7 In this computer I get the following error: Warning: SplFileInfo::openFile(/Users/nky/Sites/phtagr/tmp/cache/persistent/cake_core_file_map) [splfileinfo.openfile]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /Users/nky/Sites/phtagr/cakephp/lib/Cake/Cache/Engine/FileEngine.php on line 297
    @sebastian

6. Kemal
    April 3rd, 2013 at 02:35 | #6

I have located .htaccess files as instructed in the url rewriting document. However still doesn’t work…

7. April 3rd, 2013 at 07:35 | #7

Since you are using phtagr in a user directory (which is fine) you have chosen the most trickiest part and have to edit .htaccess a bit. Please read http://trac.phtagr.org/wiki/HowToInstallInUserDir#AdjustRedirection to set proper settings of RewriteBase. Apache should be configured to redirect localhost/~user/Sites/phtagr/setup to localhost/~user/Sites/phtagr/webroot/index.php?url=setup.

If you do not find a way, you can also disable the rewriting specified in http://book.cakephp.org/2.0/en/development/configuration.html#core-configuration-baseurl. You have to edit phtagr/Config/core.php with App.baseUrl and rename .htaccess files in directories phtagr and phtagr/webroot.

8. Kemal
    April 4th, 2013 at 00:08 | #8

I have tried the two ways. First did not make a difference. The second way with removing .htaccess files and editing core.php changed the game. But now I keep on getting several errors of the sort:

Warning (2): date(): It is not safe to rely on the system’s timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected ‘Europe/Helsinki’ for ‘EEST/3.0/DST’ instead [APP/cakephp/lib/Cake/Log/Engine/FileLog.php, line 68]
    Warning (2): include_once(/Users/nky/Sites/phtagr/Config/database.php) [http://php.net/function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory [APP/cakephp/lib/Cake/Model/ConnectionManager.php, line 68]
    Warning (2): include_once() [http://php.net/function.include]: Failed opening ‘/Users/nky/Sites/phtagr/Config/database.php’ for inclusion (include_path=’/Users/nky/Sites/phtagr/Vendor/Pear/:.:’) [APP/cakephp/lib/Cake/Model/ConnectionManager.php, line 68]

Fatal Error (256): [MissingDatasourceConfigException] The datasource configuration “default” was not found in database.php

Is there anyone who could setup the phtagr website on a MacOS 10.8 system?

9. April 4th, 2013 at 08:04 | #9

You can fix the first error by un-commenting

date_default_timezone_set('UTC');

in your Config/core.php file. You might set your timezone to ‘Europe/Helsinki’ or some of http://www.php.net/manual/en/timezones.php.

The third error happens because your directories Config, users, and tmp might not be writable by Apache. You can change this by

$ cd ~/Sites/phtagr
    $ chmod -R go+w Config users tmp

The second error occurs because the web gallery is not setup up properly. You can open the URL localhost/~nky/phtagr/webroot/index.php/setup which should trigger the setup procedure to create the missing database configuration.

10. Kemal
    April 4th, 2013 at 23:29 | #10

Thanks for the tips. I am again receiving Forbidden 403 error for

localhost/~nky/phtagr/webroot/index.php/setup

When I try to show

localhost/~nky/phtagr

I receive several errors…

Warning (2): include_once(/Users/nky/Sites/phtagr/Config/database.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory [APP/cakephp/lib/Cake/Model/ConnectionManager.php, line 68]

Perhaps I should give up… Or be more persistent…

11. April 4th, 2013 at 23:53 | #11

I’m very sorry that the installation seems to be tricky. I’ve tested it on my machine with Ubuntu 12.04 in a home directory and it did work (except the css). I’ve downloaded the latest version from http://www.phtagr.org, extract it to ~/public_html directory, and only uncomment line of App.baseUrl in the Config/core.php. Than I opened localhost/~sebastian/phtagr/webroot/index.php/setup to start the setup procedure.

Have you checked the logs of apache why your localhost/~nky/phtagr/webroot/index.php/setup does not work? Is it possible to install phtagr in your global apache www directory?

Comments are closed.