Home > tools > Cadaver for Windows

Cadaver for Windows

April 1st, 2009

phTagr supports the WebDAV network storage protocol to upload and manage your media files. While WebDAV is supported by all common OSs it is tricky within Windows (especially without encryption and the advanced Digest Authentication Schema). Free and simple alternatives for Windows are rare. On the other hand cadaver is a simple command line WebDAV client for Unix/Linux. There is also a cadaver package for cygwin to run it in Windows – but cygwin is bloody huge.

Therefore, I created a minimalistic version of cadaver for Windows from the cygwin packages and pack them to a useful zip archive. The minimalistic version comes with the required DLLs only. You can unzip the archive and use it (of cause the origin licenses of cadaver and its dependencies applies).

screenshot-cadaver-windows

[Update] The command ‘ls.exe’ is now included to inspect the local directory. Call ‘lls’ within cadaver to see current directory content. Furthe the script ‘cadaver.bat’ sets the path of cadaver to the PATH environment variable to find ‘ls.exe’. So call ‘cadaver.bat’ instead ‘cadaver.exe’!

Download cadaver with required DLLs: cadaver-0.23.3-1 (updated version from 2011-04-29)
Download cadaver with required DLLs: cadaver-0.23.2-minimalistic-2.zip
Download all cygwin packages: cadaver-0.23.2-minimalistic.pkgs-2.zip

Enjoy.

Categories: tools Tags: , ,
  1. April 10th, 2010 at 01:42 | #1

very useful, thankyou!

but… can you please include ‘more’ in the minimalistic zip file so that the ‘less’ command also works?

Cheers
    Sven

2. April 10th, 2010 at 17:36 | #2

@Sven: Thank you! Next time I update the cadaver for windows, I will include the ‘less’ and ‘cd’ command (but currently I am on vacation 🙂 )

3. November 28th, 2010 at 23:16 | #3

Cadaver for Windows is a very interesting, robust alternative now that WebDAV support seems to have been wiped out from Windows (even windows XP), no matter how many updates you install from the Micro$oft KB. My students use WebDAV folders to hand in their assignments and Cadaver comes handy (even if the command-line interface may scare many of my students away).

4. April 29th, 2011 at 19:05 | #4

Recently I updated the ZIP file to cadaver’s version 0.23.3-1.

@Sven: I could not manage to get ‘more’ command running and got a spawn failure of calling ‘/bin/more’. If someone knows a solution I’d be happy to apply it to the given package.

5. David
    March 28th, 2012 at 06:52 | #5

Thank you very much for this! I can use in a project that I need cadaver functions in windows.

I had to overcome the y/n question when asking to accept SSL cerficate when opening a location over https:// using cadaver. I needed it to be accepted automatically through a batch file. Check out the command sendkey in the NirCMD utility at http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

Batch file looks like this works great!
    nircmd sendkey y press
    nircmd sendkey enter press
    cadaver -r go.cadaver

go.cadaver file has this!
    open https://secure.domain.com/spider/webdav.php

Hope this helps someone!

6. Michael
    January 3rd, 2013 at 23:29 | #6

Dear David,
    If you add the SSL-Certificates which have been used for the https location to file C:\cygwin\usr\ssl\cert.pem, cadaver will not ask to accept this SSL certificate anymore.

I have used the sysinternals process monitor for finding out which files cadaver uses for checking trusted certificates.

Hope this hint is usefull. Have a lot of fun!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

Comments are closed.